Happy New Year!
It’s that time of year when we all make those New Year resolutions — lose weight, travel more, get more sleep, quit smoking, exercise more — the list goes on and on. All of those resolutions are great and I hope they are attainable to those who make them. All of this got me to thinking; why not make some decorating resolutions to spruce up your home in 2017?
Here are my top 5 decorating resolutions for 2017:
1. Add a piece of black furniture to your home. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again — every home should have a piece of black furniture in it. Whether you paint an existing piece or buy something new, black will add warmth and color to your décor. Plus, black is timeless and never goes out of style.
2. Organize your home and clear away the clutter. Go room by room and clear out anything that you don’t use, wear, or love. It’s very simple-make 3 piles: keep, donate, or throw away. Then, it’s time to organize what you decide to keep.
There are lots of great storage and organizational solutions to help you. Choose storage solutions that are stylish and functional. Use file cabinets to organize your important papers and documents. Trunks, storage and toy boxes are great to keep all the kid’s favorite toys in place. They can also be used to store extra blankets and pillows in your bedroom. Use bins and baskets to contain bathroom supplies, games, DVD’s, art supplies, gloves, scarves, seasonal items, and more. Store baskets on bookshelves in the home office, under benches in the mudroom, or under a coffee or sofa table in the family room. Remember, a place for everything and everything in its place.
3. Bring some grey into your life. I know it’s grey outside, but grey is the new beige. Try a new grey rug, grey accent table, grey comforter, grey pillows, or grey walls. From traditional, modern, industrial, cottage to country, grey works well in all types of décor. And, it goes well with black. See #1.
4. Paint your walls. Nothing freshens up a room like a crisp, clean coat of new paint. Why not start with a nice neutral shade of grey? Grey is the hottest trend in decorating right now. See #3.
5. And finally, update. I don’t want to offend anybody, but, if you still have fake dark paneling on your walls and lime green shag carpeting-it’s time to update. Make the resolution to get out of the 1970’s and into the 21st century one room at a time.
My wish for you in 2017 is a beautiful home that reflects your personal style, functions well, and is always warm and inviting. May you also be blessed, happy, and healthy in 2017.
Jane is the co-owner of The Wayside Workshop at Aurora Farms Premium Outlets. For more info on The Wayside Workshop, please call 330-562-4800 or visit www.WaysideWorkshop.com or facebook.com/WaysideWorkshop.