End of the Commons General Store announces completion of 15’ tall sculpture
Mesopotamia – End of the Commons General Store announces that the chain saw carving by Mr. Bob Anderson, a Rock Creek, Ohio artist, is complete. The carving was sculpted in a 350 year old oak tree trunk that stands 15’ tall, located at the End of the Commons General Store in Mesopotamia, Ohio. The focal point of the carving is a multi-dimensional frontiersman representative of the early settlers to Mesopotamia, Ohio and which honors the many frontiersmen that helped build this great community.
Master carver Bob Anderson grew up in Northeast Ohio and has spent much time since age 5 whittling and carving with knives. Currently, Mr. Anderson is a carpenter by trade and wood carving is his hobby. Bob learned the art of chainsaw carving in the last few years and has worked on other smaller sculptures in the area. This is the largest and most detailed of all his sculptures. Bob utilized 4 to 5 chain saws of various sizes and lengths along with hand rotary tools such as Dremels and sanders for specific detail.
The artistic creation, all carved by chainsaw in oak, is a beautiful centerpiece at End of the Commons General Store located at 8719 State Route 534 in Mesopotamia, Ohio 44439. The mighty burr oak was struck by lightning several times over the years and the End of the Commons General Store decided to have the tree preserved in a new form so that it may stand tall for many years to come.
End of the Commons General Store is Ohio’s oldest general store, located 45 minutes east of Cleveland, in the scenic Amish community of Mesopotamia, Ohio where Geauga, Ashtabula & Trumbull counties meet. End of the Commons General Store has been continuously run as an old fashioned general store for over 170 years! The store is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of the oldest operating general stores in the United States. Kenneth & Margaret Schaden purchased the store in 1982 and the Schaden family continues to run the business today.
Today, the 15,000 square foot retail store is lined with antiques which date back to the early 1800’s. A visit to the general store is reminiscent of days gone by; one will find a treasure trove of old fashioned goods, hard-to-find kitchen gadgets and an antique collection that is certain to bring back fond memories of childhood. During the summer months one may find the owner’s car collection dating from 1916 parked outside. Take a journey back into yesteryear and visit our unique general store and the quiet surroundings of Amish country.